Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"I'm inferring..."

I love when little kids use big words. It's an added bonus when they even use it in the proper context. Throughout the year as I have been teaching different comprehension strategies, several "big" words kept popping up...prediction, connection, schema, mental image, stamina, etc. The new 1st grade word is "inference" (basically giving clues and facts to a prediction). The hysterical part is how much my students get into it. One of them even said "Mrs. Evans! It's like a math problem! Your schema + clues in the story = an inference!" They use it all day long now..."Mrs. Evans, I'm inferring that we are going to put a new poem in our journals because my schema tells me we do it every Tuesday, and I see the clue on my desk!" What a group worth teaching to, huh?

On one of our doors, we have started an "inferring challenge". I have put a bunch of riddles on the door, and they have to "infer" what animal is, and then tell me why. It has been simply precious to see what they have already put.


We won't reveal them all until the challenge is over!

"I'm inferring it is a platypus. Something tells me it is a platypus (I don't know what it is)"


"I'm inferring it is an octopus. I think it's a octopus because of my schema"


I wish I could post actual pictures of my kids...I captured them at random times throughout the day going over to that door to "make an inference". Love love love this job...

No comments:

Post a Comment